Friday, July 25, 2008

The Real Reason

Joining Team Diabetes was a big decision - a somewhat hard, yet easy decision. The hard part was knowing I would have to raise a significant amount of money & the idea of running (completing) a full marathon. It took me about 2 weeks to make up my mind - I wanted to make sure I had the support from my friends and family - a lot of them are very optimistic - a few of them - not so much. I wanted to help those people with diabetes - I have seen what it can do to people first hand. My mom is diabetic - as well are numerous family members. I used to work at the Diabetes Centre at Vancouver General Hospital for a few years as well, which allowed me to learn a lot about diabetes. Because of my mom, family and my experience at an old job, i felt more driven to do this.

My mom was diagnoses with type 2 diabetes about 6 years ago - so 2002 i think. I only recently just learned that my great-great-grandmother had lost her life to this disease. Recently a close family friend lost his father to his diabetes. I have been lucky - up until March of this year, i had never had to experience my mom having a diabetic episode. We were at my great-grandmothers' funeral the friday before Easter. Mom kinda "went into another world" she "zoned out" - those are the only ways i can explain what happened, a few minutes passed and she came too. The entire time she just sat there staring - you could've spoken to her, but she wouldn't have heard you. This was honestly the scariest thing i have seen so far - because it happened to my mom - it makes it that much worse. I remember back when she found out she was diabetic - her Hemoglobin A1C (Hgb A1C) was at 19.0 - a normal person's A1C is anywhere between 4.0-6.0 . We took a day trip to Victoria one day - and i remember her being so happy because she tested her sugar levels (which she does numerous times a day) and it came out at 12.0 - she was so excited because that was the lowest her sugar had been down to.
Mom just had her 3 month blood work down - her A1C? 6.4 - how was is that!!!! She has been controlling her sugar levels through diet and pills.

I haven't told my mom why I am doing this marathon & fundraising - she knows' that i am doing it to help people with diabetes - but she doesnt know the reason i signed up. I am doing this for her, because of her. The day at the funeral back in March was an eye opener for me - scared the crap right out of me. We don't have the closest relationship that a lot of mother/daughters do - but we have our own. So its official - mom - i am doing this for you. There i said it - i have been able to tell people why i am doing it - it has brought me to tears explaining to people the real reason - heck it brings me to tears now. Its out in the open - and even though im writing this on here - it was not an easy thing to do - cause its admitting the real reason.


So everyone please find it in your hearts to donate - http://www.teamdiabetes.ca